Thursday 12 January 2012

The Lake Hayes Dark Ages A&P show Beer-brewing Competition

After all the brew-haha of the female beer-maker being banned from the Lake Hayes A&P show 'Blokes Only' Beer Brewing competition, I had a look at their website - The first line of which reads "We not only hold the traditional events but have created 21st century events."
Look for yourself if you don't believe me!  http://www.queenstownnz.co.nz/information/eventPopup/index.cfm?eventID=1350
 
Are these people for real?  In the 21st century they think gender makes a difference to beer-brewing ?  I did a fair amount of beer brewing in the 20th century.My brews  seemed pretty much unaffected by me being female. My stout didn't seem to mind my gender either.
What a bunch of wallies this Lake Hayes Brewing Competition organisers must be - more like stuck in the dark ages than having advanced to the 21st century.
Or maybe this is a blokey 'traditional event'?



  Picture courtesy of below website
http://www.theatlantic.com/health/archive/2011/03/shattering-beers-glass-ceiling-the-rise-of-women-brewers/72156/

Maybe a read of this page will enlighten our southern cousins.

Maybe they are just afraid a female will win!
I recall when a female friend of mine shot the won a couple of deer shooting awards.  The Dearstalkers' Association had a tradition of putting the winner's whole first and last names on the trophy, but in a break with this tradition, they put my friends first initial instead of her whole name.  Can't have any female names on the trophy now, can we - would ruin the image!
My friend took the trophy straight to an engraver and got 'Mrs.' put in front of her name.

Thank God I'm not a country girl!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments are welcome!